Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Hope

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post December 03 2011, 22:25 PM
Kierra
New Arrival

My mom and I are Americans of Scott-Irish Heritage. We want to celebrate our strong family heritage and our love for each other with matching tattoos. Our Scottish American name is Hunter. Could someone translate a phrase for me
Hope Stays the Course
Hope For Tomorrow; Live for today
Hope can not be overcome

exacts are not necessary, cultural linguistic translations are preferable, as well a note about cultural connotations; I prefer the Gaelic word for hope be in the translation of the phrase.

Post December 03 2011, 22:32 PM
Kierra
New Arrival

Hope Everlasting or hope forever would be good too

Post December 03 2011, 23:08 PM
kenailan
Craiceáilte

Kierra wrote:My mom and I are Americans of Scott-Irish Heritage. We want to celebrate our strong family heritage and our love for each other with matching tattoos. Our Scottish American name is Hunter. Could someone translate a phrase for me
Hope Stays the Course
Hope can not be overcome

exacts are not necessary, cultural linguistic translations are preferable, as well a note about cultural connotations; I prefer the Gaelic word for hope be in the translation of the phrase.

I'm not sure of the Irish for the nautical term "stay the course" I'll take a stab at the other two . Hope for tomorrow; Live for today. Maybe: Bíodh dóchas agat don lá amárach; Mair ar son an lae inniu. Hope can not be overcome, maybe :
Ní féidir anois a dóchas a mhúchadh

I'm a beginner so wait for more opinions

Post December 03 2011, 23:11 PM
kenailan
Craiceáilte

Kierra wrote:Hope Everlasting or hope forever would be good too
Maybe Dóchas síoraí

Post December 04 2011, 4:43 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Do you want Scottish Gaelic or Irish Gaelic? They're different languages.

Be aware that "Scots-Irish" actually refers to Lowland Scots who were planted in Northern Ireland. Many immigrated to the U.S. in the 1700s, tired of dealing with English oppression on one side and with very (justifiably) angry Irish natives on the other. They probably would have spoken Lallans or Scots (a dialect of English) rather than either Irish or Scottish Gaelic.

Redwolf

Post December 04 2011, 5:48 AM
Kierra
New Arrival

My maternal great-grandmother was Scottish, from Scotland, my maternal great-grandfather was Irish from Ireland. Thanks. Irish Gaelic is fine, because we are getting a thistle for Scotland and the words can be for Ireland.

Post December 04 2011, 6:52 AM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

In Irish:
Coinníonn an dóchas a chúrsa
Hope stays the [its] course

In case you'd like to compare that with the Scottish Gaelic version:
Cùmaidh an dòchas air chùrsa [note that in Gaelic the accents flow in the opposite direction]
Hope stays on course
I'm still a learner, so be sure to get input from others, especially for tattoos.

Post December 04 2011, 14:04 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

Kierra wrote:Hope Stays the Course

Caoimhín’s is good: Coinníonn an dóchas a chúrsa ‘hope keeps it course’, or leanann an dóchas a chúrsa ‘hope follows its course’.

Kenailan’s works fine for this, but isn’t very pith. To make it briefer and more allitterative (the Irish language is perpetually in love with allitteration), perhaps something like amárach do shúil; inniu do shaol ‘tomorrow (is) your hope; today (is) your life’ could work?

Hope can not be overcome

Ní chloífear an dóchas ‘hope will not be quenched/overcome’.

Another possibility, briefer: dóchas dochloíte ‘hope unquenchable/invincible/unovercomeable’ (if that were a word).
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.