Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

translation help please!

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post November 23 2011, 21:09 PM
aleanbh
New Arrival

Dia daoibh! Tá sé de dhith orm aiste a scríobh ar an scéal seo - Dúil le Liam O Flahartaigh, ach tá fadbh beag agam le cuid amhain.

'Tháinig sé trí fhuinneog ard, a bhí lánoscailte do réir nóis na Fraince agus a haghaidh ar ghairdín.'

Does this imply the whole story is set in France? Or is the author speaking about French windows?
Thanking you in advance!

Post November 23 2011, 21:38 PM
Gumbi
Craiceáilte

aleanbh wrote:Dia daoibh! Tá sé de dhith orm aiste a scríobh ar an scéal seo - Dúil le Liam O Flahartaigh, ach tá fadbh beag agam le cuid amhain.

'Tháinig sé trí fhuinneog ard, a bhí lánoscailte do réir nóis na Fraince agus a haghaidh ar ghairdín.'

Does this imply the whole story is set in France? Or is the author speaking about French windows?
Thanking you in advance!

I'm not sure but I don't think so. I'd translate the sentence as "It came through a high window, that was completely opened according to French custom and facing the garden" (That would be a literal translation). Maybe further input will help - some here might have read the story.
Await confirmation always, please.

Post November 23 2011, 21:55 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

^ That’s how I’d read it too.

Seems an odd phrase, though. A mixture of Ulster Irish (do réir instead of de réir) and non-Ulster Irish (trí fhuinneog and lánoscailte instead of fríd fhuinneog and lánf(h)oscailte). And nóis should be nós, regardless of dialect, I’d say!

Whether or not the story is set in France is quite hard to tell by this alone. It could be read as “he/it came (in/out) through a window that was wide open and facing a garden, in the French style” (i.e., a window not in France, but designed according to French style); or as “he/it came (in/out) through a window that, as is the custom with French windows, was wide open and faced a garden” (i.e., showing that this was a typical window in France).
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.