Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

translation for "Meant To Be" ???

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post November 22 2011, 22:28 PM
jenb1119
New Arrival

My husband and I just purchased a new boat and are looking to change its' name (It's now called 'Mi Sueno II, which is Spanish for 'my dream,' but Spanish doesn't really fit us.). I thought it might be cool choose something that means something to us, hence "Meant To Be," but to make it really 'ours' by touching on our heritage and doing its' name in Irish Gaelic. Can anyone tell me how that translates?

Thanks,
Jen :D

Post November 22 2011, 22:38 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

jenb1119 wrote:My husband and I just purchased a new boat and are looking to change its' name (It's now called 'Mi Sueno II, which is Spanish for 'my dream,' but Spanish doesn't really fit us.). I thought it might be cool choose something that means something to us, hence "Meant To Be," but to make it really 'ours' by touching on our heritage and doing its' name in Irish Gaelic. Can anyone tell me how that translates?

‘Meant to be’ is not usually said quite like that in Irish. Normally, you would instead that something is ‘fated for someone’, so you would have the person included in the epxression.

Assuming you mean that this boat was ‘meant to be’ for the two of you, you could say i ndán dúinn ‘fated for us’.

If the sentiment behind ‘meant to be’ in this case is something else, tell us more about what it means to you, and we’ll see if we can’t find a suitable expression in Irish.
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.

Post November 23 2011, 0:06 AM
jenb1119
New Arrival

I suppose "meant to be" would mean the boat was meant to be ours, but also that we were meant to be together. I do like the meaning of the translation that you provided though. Now if we had it put on the back of the boat, would it be written < I Ndán Dúinn > (to make it like a name, with capital letters, just as "meant to be" would be written < Meant To Be >)?

Post November 23 2011, 6:06 AM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

I suppose "meant to be" would mean the boat was meant to be ours, but also that we were meant to be together. I do like the meaning of the translation that you provided though. Now if we had it put on the back of the boat, would it be written < I Ndán Dúinn > (to make it like a name, with capital letters, just as "meant to be" would be written < Meant To Be >)?

No, it would be I nDán Dúinn.

The little "n" is there for grammatical/pronunciation reasons, and the base word is dán (fate or destiny). I know that looks strange to an English speaker, but it's correct.
I'm still a learner, so be sure to get input from others, especially for tattoos.

Post November 23 2011, 15:22 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

CaoimhínSF wrote:

No, it would be I nDán Dúinn.

The little "n" is there for grammatical/pronunciation reasons, and the base word is dán (fate or destiny). I know that looks strange to an English speaker, but it's correct.

Yep. In fact, it would be very WRONG to have the "n" capitalized.

Redwolf

Post November 24 2011, 20:38 PM
fiairefeadha
Craiceáilte

Also Meant to be... Ar ainm bheith....

Post November 24 2011, 21:56 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

fiairefeadha wrote:Also Meant to be... Ar ainm bheith....

Isn’t that more like an “it was meant to be really good, but in reality it’s not”-kind of ‘meant to be’, like in ainm bheith…?
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.