Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Mothers of the Heavens

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 17 2011, 9:53 AM
OrionAG
New Arrival

How would you translate "Mothers of the Heavens" to Irish Gaelic. This is a gift idea and I need it spot on cause it's permanent, not a tattoo, but still would last the lifetime. Just to clarify, yes I need the plural forms of both Mother and Heaven in this phrase, its not a typo. Thank you whomever answers this in advance.

Post October 17 2011, 9:56 AM
Gumbi
Craiceáilte

OrionAG wrote:How would you translate "Mothers of the Heavens" to Irish Gaelic. This is a gift idea and I need it spot on cause it's permanent, not a tattoo, but still would last the lifetime. Just to clarify, yes I need the plural forms of both Mother and Heaven in this phrase, its not a typo. Thank you whomever answers this in advance.

Máithreacha na bhFlaithis is how I'd say it.
Await confirmation always, please.

Post October 17 2011, 11:54 AM
OrionAG
New Arrival

Thank you Gumbi. Anyone else with other translations of the above out there or any confirmations on the above? Thanks again!

Post October 17 2011, 18:06 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

I’d pronounce it the way Gumbi wrote it, but I’d write it (especially in the standardised orthography) as Máithreacha na bhFlaitheas.
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.

Post October 17 2011, 21:50 PM
Gumbi
Craiceáilte

kokoshneta wrote:I’d pronounce it the way Gumbi wrote it, but I’d write it (especially in the standardised orthography) as Máithreacha na bhFlaitheas.

Koko's spelling is correct. I misspelled it. :oops:
Await confirmation always, please.

Post October 17 2011, 22:12 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

kokoshneta wrote:I’d pronounce it the way Gumbi wrote it, but I’d write it (especially in the standardised orthography) as Máithreacha na bhFlaitheas.

You'd pronounce the broad "s" as slender?

Redwolf

Post October 18 2011, 0:02 AM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

Redwolf wrote:You'd pronounce the broad "s" as slender?

In this particular word, yes. I’m not sure how widespread the tendency is, but I’ve heard several people in both Gweedore, Gortahork, and even Teelin pronouncing both the nominative/accusative/dative plural and the genitive plural of this word as na bhFlaithis. It’s very odd, but there it is …

I can’t actually recall ever hearing any native speaker in that part of the country say na Flaithis or na bhFlaitheas.
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.