Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Translation

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post August 10 2011, 17:32 PM
stcass
New Arrival

can anyone help me to translate this

"Mum and Dad,

May your noble souls be at the right hand of God"

Thanks

Stephen

Post August 10 2011, 17:48 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

stcass wrote:can anyone help me to translate this

"Mum and Dad,

May your noble souls be at the right hand of God"

Thanks

Stephen

A mhamaí agus a dhaidí,

Ar dheis Dé go raibh bhur n-anam

Just a couple of little tweaks:

A Mhamaí agus a Dhaidí,

Ar dheis Dé go raibh bhur n-anam uasal[/i]

This raises a question, though. Normally I would use the singular here too, but for some reason it seems odd with the adjective (everyone has a soul, but presumably, not everyone has a noble soul). Would it be better to say "bhur n-anamacha uaisle" in this case?

Redwolf
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.

Post August 10 2011, 19:05 PM
Saoirse2009
Laoch na nGael

Redwolf, are you a moderator turned hijacker!

Post August 10 2011, 19:42 PM
Bodhránbob
Giostaire

It is obvious that the "one nose in Ireland"rule isnt universally observed..and I would guess that it too is sliding into oblivion.in a recent debate both sides produced tombstones/monuments etc with ár gcroí and ár gcroíthe etc.
But I think in this case where two distinct proper people are addressed..I would tend to go plural. Not to say that what you have is wrong....back under me rock...zzzz
-----------------------------------------------------
Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcaí
Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post August 10 2011, 20:08 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

Redwolf (pretending to be me) wrote:A Mhamaí agus a Dhaidí,

Ar dheis Dé go raibh bhur n-anam uasal[/i]

I missed the adjective, you’re right. I’m not sure if I’d capitalise the epithets, though—but I wouldn’t capitalise them in English, either. Yours keeps with the original punctuation.

This raises a question, though. Normally I would use the singular here too, but for some reason it seems odd with the adjective (everyone has a soul, but presumably, not everyone has a noble soul). Would it be better to say "bhur n-anamacha uaisle" in this case?

Good question. Logically, I like the plural better … but the singular still sounds more natural to my ear. I don’t think either one would be considered incorrect here, though.
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.