Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Tattoo idea. The name "Foster"

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post June 21 2011, 2:40 AM
crazycanuck17
New Arrival

Hi,

just wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm looking at getting my son's name tattooed on my body. But I was wondering if it had a Gaelic translation or if it could be translated. His name is Foster and it comes from the original word of Forest and the meaning is "Woodsman". Any help would be appreciated.

Wayne Scouten

Post June 21 2011, 4:30 AM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

just wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm looking at getting my son's name tattooed on my body. But I was wondering if it had a Gaelic translation or if it could be translated. His name is Foster and it comes from the original word of Forest and the meaning is "Woodsman". Any help would be appreciated.

Names are not usually "translated" when moving from one language to another, although sometimes they have what is considered an "equivalent" in the other language. In Irish, such equivalents exist if the name:
(i) is of Irish origin, so that it naturally has a Gaelic form,
(ii) is in the Bible or some other old religious/secular material which came to Ireland long ago,
(iii) was brought to Ireland back when the country was mostly Irish-speaking and was given an Irish form, or
(iv) has otherwise become common enough in Ireland that some people have created a Gaelic form of it.

Names which don’t fit into any of those categories don’t really have an Irish equivalent. The name Foster is an English surname (i.e family name). It does exist in Ireland as a surname (not as a first name -- doing that is a modern American custom), but does not have a Gaelic form.
I'm still a learner, so be sure to get input from others, especially for tattoos.