Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

idioms

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 22 2011, 20:05 PM
An Craoibhín Aoibhinn
Gaeilgeoir

Cén chaoi a bhfuil sibh? I was just curious as to whether anyone knows any good idioms or anywhere one could find good Irish idioms? I had a quick flick through G.Bannister's "Gaelic Idioms" (didn't buy it due to lack of funds) but I was just thinking, now maybe this is just me and my beginner level Irish, that alot of the idioms in it seemed to be just direct translations rather than using Irish "originals" so to speak, just as an example he gives "crocodile tears" literaly as "false tears", cant remember the translation but if someone learning Irish read it they would know what he was on about.

I was looking for idioms where it would be hard to tell from the words alone what a person meant unless they had an understanding of the language being used, I was looking around for examples in other languages and came across "Il n'y a pas un chat" for "there wasn't soul around" and from what I can remember of my french I think "avoir du blé" (to have wheat) is to have money and someone told me that in spanish the idiom for a close shave as in a narrow escape is "to see the wolves ears", I also saw "Dhéanfadh sé nead i do chluas" for he would completely fool you in FGB. Maybe ive gone a round about way of asking, but basically I would like to learn some more "Irish" idioms rather than just translations. any help would be really appreciated

maith agaibh
"It can never die out, and when the people begin to see it fallen very low, it will rise up again like the phoenix from its own ashes"

Post May 22 2011, 20:45 PM
Dairín
Gaeilgeoir

There is a fantastic book by Ailbhe Ó Corrain called 'A Concordane of Idiomatic Expressions in the Writings of Séamas Ó Grianna'
However, if lack of funds stopped you from buying Bannisters book, it may be best to see if you can borrow this one. If you come across a copy, it is well worth the investment, its like gold dust.
'Ní fiú dúinn againn í, mur' féidir í a roinnt!'

Post May 28 2011, 23:43 PM
fiairefeadha
Craiceáilte

Dúchas na Gaeilge by Ó Ruairc is good too but if you cant afford Bannister this wont be cheaper. Bannister is as cheap as you will get.

Post May 29 2011, 1:22 AM
Riadach
Craiceáilte

Diolaim d'abairtí dúchasacha compiles a few from Ó Dónaill's dictionary. An Béal Beo from Tomás Ó Máille is another riche source.
Níl leigheas ar ghrá ach pósadh

Post May 29 2011, 13:54 PM
fiairefeadha
Craiceáilte

Riadach wrote:An Béal Beo from Tomás Ó Máille is another riche source.Níl leigheas ar ghrá ach pósadh
This is a gem of a book for Connacht words and terminology. Its a pity something similar wasnt compiled in this way for Munster or Ulster.

Post May 29 2011, 18:33 PM
Dairín
Gaeilgeoir

fiairefeadha wrote:
Riadach wrote:An Béal Beo from Tomás Ó Máille is another riche source.Níl leigheas ar ghrá ach pósadh
This is a gem of a book for Connacht words and terminology. Its a pity something similar wasnt compiled in this way for Munster or Ulster.

I second this, a cracking wee book!

Post May 30 2011, 4:48 AM
kenailan
Craiceáilte

There's always that famous one, adapted by Guinness, Ní féidir an dubh a chur ina gheal air to indicate someone who can't be "taken in" (to also use an English idiom).

Post May 30 2011, 12:28 PM
Dairín
Gaeilgeoir

Deismir, le hAnraí mac Giolla Chomhaill

Cora Cainte as Tír Chonaill, le Seán Mac Maoláin

Dhá leabhar mhaithe - two good books.

Post May 30 2011, 14:30 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

Dairín wrote:Cora Cainte as Tír Chonaill, le Seán Mac Maoláin

I was thinking about this one, too. It’s a wealth of information—but the information can be really hard to find, unfortunately. There’s no index-like structure to it.
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.

Post May 30 2011, 15:51 PM
Errigal2466
Scéalaí Mór

kokoshneta wrote:
Dairín wrote:Cora Cainte as Tír Chonaill, le Seán Mac Maoláin

I was thinking about this one, too. It’s a wealth of information—but the information can be really hard to find, unfortunately. There’s no index-like structure to it.

Cheannaigh mise anuraidh é. Beidh ort an leabhar uilig a chur de ghlanmheabhair mar sin, rud nár éirigh liomsa a dhéanamh go fóill. :)

Next