Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

from gaelic to english

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 02 2011, 14:31 PM
virgi
New Arrival

name- Ailesh Slainte chuig na fir, agus go mair fidh na mna go deo. Can you please translate?

Post May 02 2011, 14:38 PM
virgi
New Arrival

This a part of a play i"m doing and I have no idea how to say it correctly. I NEED HELP! Thank you

Post May 02 2011, 14:40 PM
Gumbi
Craiceáilte

Sláinte chuig na fir, agus go maire na mná go deo
Health to the men, and may the women live forever

Any particular dialect you want phonetics for?
Await confirmation always, please.

Post May 02 2011, 14:41 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

That’s a botched-up spelling of a semi-botched variation of the Irish saying Sláinte na bhfear agus go maire na mná go deo, which means “(A toast of) health to the men, and may the women live forever”.

Interestingly, this exact phrase (though properly spelt) popped up a few days ago, with the same odd variation.
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.

Post May 02 2011, 14:50 PM
virgi
New Arrival

Thank you so much for the translation. It would really help if you could give me the proper dialect. it needs only to sound irish for the play

Post May 02 2011, 14:52 PM
Gumbi
Craiceáilte

virgi wrote:Thank you so much for the translation. It would really help if you could give me the proper dialect. it needs only to sound irish for the play

There are several major dialects of Irish - is there any particular one you wish to adhere to? Munster based, Connemara based, or Ulster based?
Await confirmation always, please.

Post May 02 2011, 14:57 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

I'm wondering if the first word (Ailesh) is a botched attempt at either the name "Ailís" or the name "Eilís"?
Odd that there's no punctuation behind it though...I would expect a comma if it's addressed to her or a colon if that's the name of the character who proposes the toast.

Redwolf

Post May 02 2011, 15:00 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

^ If it’s the character proposing the toast, it could then perhaps be followed by a tab in the original document where the text was copy-pasted from, explaining the lack of punctuation after it. A tab would be turned into a regular space here on the board.
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.

Post May 02 2011, 19:38 PM
Breandán
Giostaire

virgi wrote:Thank you so much for the translation. It would really help if you could give me the proper dialect. it needs only to sound irish for the play

There's help with the pronunciation on the other thread kokoshneta pointed you to. :wink:

Here it is again:

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/tr ... 05961.html

Post May 03 2011, 19:00 PM
fiairefeadha
Craiceáilte

kokoshneta wrote:of a semi-botched variation of the Irish saying Sláinte na bhfear agus go maire na mná go deo, which means “(A toast of) health to the men, and may the women live forever”.
Not necessarily, The construction Sláinte chughat is used in Munster.

Next