Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

does rua mean red?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post January 11 2011, 16:47 PM
MysticMoon234
Anseo again

I came across the word when i typed red in Irishdictionaryonline and it came up with this:

TRANSLATION:
red = n dearg m1
red = Cumannaí m4
red = adj dearg
red = rua

in what way do they relate to red?
I clicked on rua and it came up with this:

TRANSLATION:
rua = adj red-haired

So does that mean you say that word rue when talking aout someone's hair colour?

Post January 11 2011, 16:51 PM
Craig11
Scéalaí Mór

Yes it generally means red-haired

fear rua - a red headed man
Is foghlaimeoir mé
Wait for 3 confirmations

Post January 11 2011, 16:55 PM
MysticMoon234
Anseo again

Is there a irish word for fairy, pixie, sprite or any realted words?

Post January 11 2011, 16:58 PM
Craig11
Scéalaí Mór

fairy - Sióg
fairies - Sióga
Is foghlaimeoir mé
Wait for 3 confirmations

Post January 11 2011, 17:20 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Craig11 wrote:Yes it generally means red-haired

fear rua - a red headed man

Just to add, it's also what's used to describe "red" in regards to animals...for example, a chestnut horse, a red fox or an Irish setter.

I sometimes describe it to my students as "ginger" or "copper-colored."

"Dearg" would be used to describe something that's more paint-box red...a red car, for example.

Redwolf (Faolchú Rua :wink: )

Post January 11 2011, 17:30 PM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

The problem is with the English language really. Santa's red outfit and his red hair (in his youth!) are not the same colour, obviously. While you could argue that there are many shades of the same colour, red hair is quite different to our normal idea of red, since that hair colour is often a shade of orangy/brown or ginger. It's a fairly distinctive colour and is given it's own name in Irish - 'rua'. So yes, rua means 'red' but only because English lacks a specific word for that hair colour (or because 'red' has come to mean two quite separate colours - and 'ginger' or the likes is not in favour).
The money-grabbing wankers who control this site can ban me too. Talk about recruiting trolls! I've spent enough time putting money in their pockets.

Post January 11 2011, 17:36 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

scoobytyson wrote: (or because 'red' has come to mean two quite separate colours - and 'ginger' or the likes is not in favour).

That's why I've taken to using copper-colored to describe it recently.

Ironically, "ginger" (neither the hair color itself nor the word) didn't have negative connotations here in the States until bloody Southpark introduced "kick a ginger" day. :/

It is interesting that, in English, we use "red" for this color...often it's closer to orange.

Redwolf

Post January 13 2011, 22:30 PM
fiairefeadha
Craiceáilte

Redwolf wrote:Ironically, "ginger" (neither the hair color itself nor the word) didn't have negative connotations here in the States until bloody Southpark introduced "kick a ginger" day.

It is interesting that, in English, we use "red" for this color...often it's closer to orange.

"Carrot" was always an insult in our schooldays in Ireland that could start a good fight.

Rua is the colour of live things.Its used for the colour of Bogs, mountains & heather as well as animals. Its common in placenames Coillte Rua, An tSí Rua, Gleann Rua

Post January 14 2011, 4:05 AM
Sassy Lassie
Giostaire

As a redhead, I have never minded being called ginger, ginger headed, red, rusty, etc.

Once when I was getting on the Jungle Boat ride at Disneyland, the guide (ride operator) looked at me a said, "Ya know lady, if you dried your hair, it wouldn't rust.) I just laughed.

Proud to be a ginger.

Sass :)
Sassy Lassie

Gorm Abú
Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste, ná Bearla cliste.

Post January 14 2011, 5:32 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Sassy Lassie wrote:As a redhead, I have never minded being called ginger, ginger headed, red, rusty, etc.

Once when I was getting on the Jungle Boat ride at Disneyland, the guide (ride operator) looked at me a said, "Ya know lady, if you dried your hair, it wouldn't rust.) I just laughed.

Proud to be a ginger.

Sass :)

Mise fosta!

Though I hate the fact that a color that's always been considered beautiful here in the States has suddenly become a point of mockery courtesy of a crappy, cut-rate TV show.

Redwolf

Next