Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Translation for good luck, may the luck be with you...

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post November 23 2010, 11:24 AM
Mienchen81
New Arrival

Hi, I´m from Munich and I need help for some irish/gaelic sayings. Please, can you translate or rather correct the sentences.

1. Go n-éiri an t-ádh leat - does that mean good luck? Can I say something else for "Good luck"? And how is it pronounced.

2. How do you translate "May the luck be with you"? And can you also write how it is pronounced?

3. Is muidne údar ár gcuid áidh féin - is that right for "We are author of our own luck"? (In german you say: Everyone is the smith of his own luck - Jeder ist seines eigenen Glückes Schmied)

So this is a lot. It would be grateful if you can help.Thanks :wink:
Mienchen

Post November 23 2010, 11:51 AM
Ade
Laoch na nGael

1. Looks sound to me. You'd pronounce it Guh NIE-ree on TAW lat. I think you could also say Ádh mór agat.

2. This is essentially the same thing as number 1. I'd say Go n-éiri an t-ádh leat - may the luck rise to you is already quite close.

3. Personally, I'd say it more like this: Is sinne inár údar ón t-ádh atá againn, but you should definitely wait to see what others have to say about that. Also, sinne is just another word for muidne.
I'm by no means a native Irish speaker.
Wait for confirmation.

Post November 23 2010, 12:50 PM
Breandán
Giostaire

Ade wrote:1. Looks sound to me. You'd pronounce it Guh NIE-ree on TAW lat. I think you could also say Ádh mór agat.

2. This is essentially the same thing as number 1. I'd say Go n-éiri an t-ádh leat - may the luck rise to you is already quite close.

3. Personally, I'd say it more like this: Is sinne inár údar ón t-ádh atá againn, but you should definitely wait to see what others have to say about that. Also, sinne is just another word for muidne.
Mienchen81 wrote:Hi, I´m from Munich and I need help for some irish/gaelic sayings. Please, can you translate or rather correct the sentences.

1. Go n-éiri an t-ádh leat - does that mean good luck? Can I say something else for "Good luck"? And how is it pronounced.

2. How do you translate "May the luck be with you"? And can you also write how it is pronounced?

3. Is muidne údar ár gcuid áidh féin - is that right for "We are author of our own luck"? (In german you say: Everyone is the smith of his own luck - Jeder ist seines eigenen Glückes Schmied)

So this is a lot. It would be grateful if you can help.Thanks :wink:
Mienchen

I think 1. and 2. are as Ade says.

For 3., I think that Mienchen's version is sound. Ade's seems a bit wacky because it tries to use a copula construction with an idiom that requires the verb . :roll:

Post November 23 2010, 13:07 PM
Ade
Laoch na nGael

Haha, better ignore that last one then. I must be going slightly mad. :lol:
I'm by no means a native Irish speaker.
Wait for confirmation.

Post November 23 2010, 13:09 PM
Breandán
Giostaire

Don't worry - we all have our moments. :scherzkeks:

Post November 23 2010, 21:59 PM
Errigal2466
Scéalaí Mór

Ádh mór ort rather than agat perhaps. Or Ádh mór on its own.

Post November 24 2010, 12:33 PM
Mienchen81
New Arrival

Thank you all, that would help. But I´ve got one question: Is the spelling correct (Go n-éiri an t-ádh leat)? Because when it is tattooed into my skin, it should have been written correct. ;D Have a nice day and greetings from the cold and grey Munich

Mienchen

Post November 24 2010, 13:41 PM
pennyrat
Scéalaí Mór

Looks like you're missing a fada there..

éirí

Post November 24 2010, 14:48 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

"Éirigh le" doesn't mean "rise with," Ade, any more than "buail le" means "hit with." It means "succeed."

Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat can simply be translated as "good luck." No rising implied.

Redwolf

Post November 24 2010, 14:51 PM
Gumbi
Craiceáilte

Redwolf wrote:"Éirigh le" doesn't mean "rise with," Ade, any more than "buail le" means "hit with." It means "succeed."

Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat can simply be translated as "good luck." No rising implied.

Redwolf

:gut:
Await confirmation always, please.