Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Translation Of Aisling SOng

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post November 20 2010, 22:28 PM
stormangel
Gaeilgeoir

I recently saw this movie that I loved called The Secret of Kells, the fairy child Aisling sings a beautiful song to the white cat Pangur Ban, which according to the review means "White Fuller" I have done some research on the actual Poem and it concludes that cat is with the named spelled Pangur Bán is called "White Fuller" even though it sounds wrong to me. I though Ban was a way say woman in Gaelic I have very old primer that offers Ban as a formal translation used in some old poetry. However the Lyrics are what I would like translated. I have seen a hundred different versions my Gaelic is a bit better from watching TG4, but not enough to translate the song accurately. I believe the Gaelic Lyrics are hinting to place of mist, where the fairy lives, but only for a little while, is the gist of my own attempt. I would really appreciate the translation for the lyrics.

You must go where I can not,

Pangur Ban Pangur Ban,

Nil sa saol seo ach ceo,

Is ni bheimid beo,

ach seal beag gearr.
the hardest thing in life we ever cope with is ourselves if we come to grips with we are are then no matter what we will survive

Post November 20 2010, 22:35 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

stormangel wrote:I recently saw this movie that I loved called The Secret of Kells, the fairy child Aisling sings a beautiful song to the white cat Pangur Ban, which according to the review means "White Fuller" I have done some research on the actual Poem and it concludes that cat is with the named spelled Pangur Bán is called "White Fuller" even though it sounds wrong to me. I though Ban was a way say woman in Gaelic I have very old primer that offers Ban as a formal translation used in some old poetry. However the Lyrics are what I would like translated. I have seen a hundred different versions my Gaelic is a bit better from watching TG4, but not enough to translate the song accurately. I believe the Gaelic Lyrics are hinting to place of mist, where the fairy lives, but only for a little while, is the gist of my own attempt. I would really appreciate the translation for the lyrics.

You must go where I can not,

Pangur Ban Pangur Ban,

Nil sa saol seo ach ceo,

Is ni bheimid beo,

ach seal beag gearr.

"Bán" means "white." "Ban" is a prefix meaning "female." The accent makes all the difference.

In this case, Pangur Bán is the name of a famous cat, which has appeared in Irish monastic poetry.

What you have there says:

You must go where I cannot,
Pangur Bán, Pangur Bán
There is nothing in this life/world but mist,
And we will only be alive
For a short time.

Redwolf

Post November 20 2010, 22:40 PM
stormangel
Gaeilgeoir

Thanks so much and the accent is definitely a help the translations and name spelling for the movie don't use the Accent for the Cat's name. Thank you for clearing that up for me. And thank you for the translation the ones I found were definitely off, and I am glad my Gaelic is is improving enough that I can get a rough meaning of the lyrics. :D The movie and sound track are a beautiful work of art, and the Celtic Knot work phenomenal. I am happy to have the accurate lyrics now too.
the hardest thing in life we ever cope with is ourselves if we come to grips with we are are then no matter what we will survive

Post November 20 2010, 23:05 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

stormangel wrote:Thanks so much and the accent is definitely a help the translations and name spelling for the movie don't use the Accent for the Cat's name. Thank you for clearing that up for me. And thank you for the translation the ones I found were definitely off, and I am glad my Gaelic is is improving enough that I can get a rough meaning of the lyrics. :D The movie and sound track are a beautiful work of art, and the Celtic Knot work phenomenal. I am happy to have the accurate lyrics now too.

I hope to see it someday. It got wonderful reviews in our local paper, and played at a downtown theater for a while, but I wasn't able to get in to see it.

Do you know if it's available on DVD yet?

Redwolf

Post November 21 2010, 1:13 AM
Sassy Lassie
Giostaire

If I am not mistaken, The Secret of the Kells was up for an Oscar this last year, for the best animated film. It was the only animated film that was hand drawn.

Sassy
Sassy Lassie

Gorm Abú
Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste, ná Bearla cliste.

Post November 21 2010, 3:57 AM
bje50010
Getting Addicted

Redwolf wrote:Do you know if it's available on DVD yet?

Redwolf

I just watched it on Netflix. Beautiful . . . .

Barbara

Post January 01 2011, 1:26 AM
izzarina
New Arrival

Redwolf wrote:I hope to see it someday. It got wonderful reviews in our local paper, and played at a downtown theater for a while, but I wasn't able to get in to see it.

I know this is old, but I wanted to say the kids just saw it, Red, and they really liked it :) If you have Netflix, you can watch it on the instant watch feature.

Post January 01 2011, 1:57 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

izzarina wrote:
Redwolf wrote:I hope to see it someday. It got wonderful reviews in our local paper, and played at a downtown theater for a while, but I wasn't able to get in to see it.

I know this is old, but I wanted to say the kids just saw it, Red, and they really liked it :) If you have Netflix, you can watch it on the instant watch feature.

Hi Izz! Cad é mar atá tú?

I don't have Netflix, but I'm thinking about just seeing if I can buy the movie. Given that my daughter hopes to work in 2D animation someday, it would be a worthwhile investment, and I really would love to see it.

Redwolf

Post January 01 2011, 19:49 PM
franc 91
Scéalaí Mór

For your information 'The Secret of Kells' is available either as a DVD or a Blu-Ray & DVD in America from the New Video Group (Flat Iron Film Company) - www.newvideo.com or you can also get it from Amazon.com
- DVD (released 10/5/2010) catalog# NNVG229021, upc 7-67685-22902-6, ISBN 1-4229-9237-3
- Blu-Ray & DVD catalog# NNVG229030, upc 7-67685-22903-3, ISBN 1-4229-9238-1

Post January 07 2011, 13:54 PM
jcorvidae
New Arrival

Since you note that "White Fuller" didn't seem to make much sense, see the wikipedia article for Fuller:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulling

Note that fulling was the process in making wool cloth for removing oils, dirt and impurities from the cloth. It's easy to guess that the cat in the old monasteries was named this for it's white coat and for the feline habit of meticulous cleaning of it's own coat. But I'd step farther still to guess that this name might have had an even deeper resonance with the monks who were also concerned with removing spiritual impurities. Just a guess, but it seems likely that the name and the cleansing reference had a layering of meanings intended.

- Jacob

Next