Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Sister...

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post November 18 2010, 20:02 PM
megsis
New Arrival

My sisters and I are looking for phrases for some kind of jewlery or something and we haven't decided between two phrases but I don't know Irish Gaelic, or any Gaelic for that matter. So I figured I'd ask everyone here, I'm looking for either "My sister, My friend" which google gave me this :"mo dheirfiúr, mo chara"

Or "In thee my soul shall own combined the sister and the friend" and google gave me this translation "Beidh i mo anam ort féin combind an deirfiúr agus an cara."

I don't trust google however, so if anyone could help me out that'd be fantastic! Thank you! :)

Post November 18 2010, 20:17 PM
Ade
Laoch na nGael

megsis wrote:My sisters and I are looking for phrases for some kind of jewlery or something and we haven't decided between two phrases but I don't know Irish Gaelic, or any Gaelic for that matter. So I figured I'd ask everyone here, I'm looking for either "My sister, My friend" which google gave me this :"mo dheirfiúr, mo chara"

Or "In thee my soul shall own combined the sister and the friend" and google gave me this translation "Beidh i mo anam ort féin combind an deirfiúr agus an cara."

I don't trust google however, so if anyone could help me out that'd be fantastic! Thank you! :)

If you're looking for "my sister, my freind" your google translation could be correct. There are two ways of saying it in Irish, you see. If you're "claiming" her, as you would if you were you're introducing her to someon as your sister and your friend, you'd use the translation Mo dheirfiúr, mo chara, but if you were speaking to her, and addressing the her as my sister, my friend you'd say A dheirfiúr, a chara.

I wouldn't use your google translation for the second one though. Possibly something like this:

I tusa beidh deirfiúr agus cara ag m'anam. - In you my soul will have a sister and a friend.
I'm by no means a native Irish speaker.
Wait for confirmation.

Post November 19 2010, 2:50 AM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

Looks good, but shouldn't it be:
ionatsa a mbeidh deirfiúr agus cara ag m'anam

Corrected: ionatsa never even dawned on me, or presence of a subordinate clause! :mrgreen:
Last edited by CaoimhínSF on November 20 2010, 2:31 AM, edited 3 times in total.
I'm still a learner, so be sure to get input from others, especially for tattoos.

Post November 19 2010, 2:53 AM
Ade
Laoch na nGael

CaoimhínSF wrote:Looks good, but shouldn't it be:
I dtusa beidh deirfiúr agus cara ag m'anam

I could be very mistaken in saying this, but I believe with "t" an eclipse isn't necessary, but a matter of choice. Though I would very much like to get more confirmation on that.
Wait for confirmation.

Post November 19 2010, 3:04 AM
Breandán
Giostaire

Ade wrote:
CaoimhínSF wrote:Looks good, but shouldn't it be:
I dtusa beidh deirfiúr agus cara ag m'anam

I could be very mistaken in saying this, but I believe with "t" an eclipse isn't necessary, but a matter of choice. Though I would very much like to get more confirmation on that.

I think you may be confusing i "in" (which always causes eclipsis) with sa "in the" (which obeys the dentals rule).

But more to the point, i + /tusa = ionat/ionatsa.

Perhaps:

Ionatsa a mbeidh deirfiúr agus cara le m'anam

or

Ionatsa a mbeidh deirfiúr agus cara do m'anam

Await further correction or confirmation ...

Post November 19 2010, 3:07 AM
Ade
Laoch na nGael

Breandán wrote:But more to the point, i + /tusa = ionat/ionatsa.

Well so much for my basic grasp of grammar. :lach:

Sctratch what I said above:
Ionatsa a mbeidh deirfiúr agus cara ag m'anam - In you my soul will have a sister and a friend
Last edited by Ade on November 19 2010, 3:11 AM, edited 2 times in total.
Wait for confirmation.

Post November 19 2010, 3:09 AM
Breandán
Giostaire

Ade wrote:

Ionat beidh deirfiúr agus cara ag m'anam - In you my soul will have a sister and a friend

Crossed, see above. :wink:

Post November 19 2010, 3:12 AM
Ade
Laoch na nGael

Breandán wrote:
Ade wrote:

Ionat beidh deirfiúr agus cara ag m'anam - In you my soul will have a sister and a friend

Crossed, see above. :wink:

Sorry, must have been writing as you were expanding. :D
Wait for confirmation.

Post November 19 2010, 3:26 AM
Bodhránbob
Giostaire

Sorry, must have been writing as you were expanding.

I hope you meant expounding :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------
Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcaí
Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post November 19 2010, 22:46 PM
Errigal2466
Scéalaí Mór

Ionatsa a mbeidh deirfiúr agus cara ag m'anam - In you my soul will have a sister and a friend

mbeidh should be bheidh. Direct relative. It's somewhere in GGBC. Though I'd think we could just have a simple relative-less sentence: "Ionatsa bheidh..." ?

Next