Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

pretty girl

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post November 01 2010, 22:55 PM
tc8845
New Arrival

getting a tattoo and looking for the irish gaelic translation of "pretty girl".
I have been told by an irish waitress it is "cailin deas" but have an internet site saying pretty = dathuil.
"cailin alainn" I think is beautiful girl and I have also seen "lachoigin" as straight gaelic.
HELP!!!

Post November 01 2010, 22:59 PM
Saoirse2009
Laoch na nGael

tc8845 wrote:getting a tattoo and looking for the irish gaelic translation of "pretty girl".
I have been told by an irish waitress it is "cailin deas" but have an internet site saying pretty = dathuil.
"cailin alainn" I think is beautiful girl and I have also seen "lachoigin" as straight gaelic.
HELP!!!

Cáilín álainn = beautiful girl

Cáilín deas = nice girl - not what you are looking for

Note: The accents over the letters are important.

Post November 01 2010, 23:01 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

tc8845 wrote:getting a tattoo and looking for the irish gaelic translation of "pretty girl".
HELP!!!

"Cailín deas" is technically "Nice girl," but it could conceivably be used to mean "pretty girl" in some contexts, I think.

"Lachoigin" isn't an Irish word. I don't know what you mean by "straight Gaelic."

"Cailín dathúil" and "Cailín dóighiúil" both mean "handsome/good-looking girl," and could also mean "pretty girl" in context.

"Cailín Álainn" is what I'd be most inclined to use, however. "Álainn" means "lovely."

Wait for more.

BTW, do mind the spelling. The accent marks are an important part of the spelling of the word (and their lack can even cause a word to have a different meaning).

Redwolf

Post November 01 2010, 23:07 PM
Craig11
Scéalaí Mór

cailín gleoite - i'd say

Lachóigín is a pretty girl, i've never heard it though
Is foghlaimeoir mé
Wait for 3 confirmations

Post November 01 2010, 23:20 PM
applebrown
Getting Addicted

I've been doing buntus cainte which gives hálainn as beautiful? Is that a variation on álainn, or is it some grammary thing I'm unaware of yet? I'm only on Ceacht 5 so please forgive if I sound dense :)

Post November 01 2010, 23:24 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

czam2007 wrote:cailín gleoite - i'd say

Lachóigín is a pretty girl, i've never heard it though

I'd forgotten "gleoite"! That's a good one!

Redwolf

Post November 01 2010, 23:26 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

applebrown wrote:I've been doing buntus cainte which gives hálainn as beautiful? Is that a variation on álainn, or is it some grammary thing I'm unaware of yet? I'm only on Ceacht 5 so please forgive if I sound dense :)

What you've probably seen is "go hálainn." The particle "go" prefixes "h" to words beginning with a vowel.

"Álainn" is one of the Irish adjectives that requires "go" in certain types of sentences. So you would say:

Tá sí go hálainn!: She is beautiful!

But...

Is cailín álainn í!: She's a beautiful girl!

Redwolf

Post November 01 2010, 23:44 PM
tc8845
New Arrival

"cailín gleoite" is the consensus then? I need to be clear to make sure I don't have a Rhianna incident!
what did you mean that "lachóigin" is a pretty girl but you've never heard it ... as in it is rarely used? Is it Gaelic/Irish and I want to be sure I am getting Irish and not Scottish gaelic.

Post November 02 2010, 0:19 AM
tc8845
New Arrival

Just found this on the website answers.com - "Tá tú gleoite" literally means "you're charming", however the use of the word gleoite is incorrect so it's very poor Irish.

Also - on irishology.com they say gleoite means lovely

Post November 02 2010, 0:37 AM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

There's nothing wrong with the word gleoite, or with Tá tú gleoite. Gleoite means charming, delightful, lovely. pretty, handsome, etc. Beware of answers.com, I've seen some dodgy Irish on there, as well as some good Irish. It all depends on who answers the question.

For "pretty girl", I'd suggest going with one of these, which people on here gave you. There are many ways to say something like this, but these are the most common and straightforward:

cailín álainn
cailín gleoite

I imagine that what czam2007 meant is that lachóigín can be found in some dictionaries (e.g., FGB), but it's not a very common word.

If you want to use "deas", I'd go with cailín deas álainn (nice pretty girl).

Next