Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Make Love Not Warcraft

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post September 14 2010, 6:44 AM
mattshep
New Arrival

Make Love Not Warcraft

It's for a tattoo so as many replies as possible would be great!
Thanks!

Post September 14 2010, 14:56 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

mattshep wrote:Make Love Not Warcraft

It's for a tattoo so as many replies as possible would be great!
Thanks!

The problem is, the wordplay won't translate. In Irish, you don't "make love." There are other euphemisms for sex, but they come across, at least to my ears, as a good deal more vulgar than "make love."

Perhaps you could get by with something like:

Buail craiceann; ná buail an druma catha: Beat skin (one euphemism for sex); don't beat the battle drum.

But I'm fairly certain I wouldn't want that in a tattoo (or on a T-shirt)...it just sounds more than a little crass to me. But then, I'm not Irish...maybe it's less vulgar culturally than it sounds.

Perhaps someone else out there will know if there's another Irish euphemism for sex that could be used in this context.

Redwolf

Post September 14 2010, 15:46 PM
JustinSCF
New Arrival

Red Wolf, I don't know if you know this or not but the "saying"

"Make Love Not Warcraft" is actually an achievement from a game called "World of Warcraft"
at least that's where I assume the user got their saying from.

With Warcraft being a fairly new word (compared to the older times) there may not be a translation for it as it is.

The saying itself is newer as opposed to what blizzard originally took it frmo "Make love not War"

Post September 14 2010, 15:55 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

JustinSCF wrote:Red Wolf, I don't know if you know this or not but the "saying"

"Make Love Not Warcraft" is actually an achievement from a game called "World of Warcraft"
at least that's where I assume the user got their saying from.

With Warcraft being a fairly new word (compared to the older times) there may not be a translation for it as it is.

The saying itself is newer as opposed to what blizzard originally took it frmo "Make love not War"

I figured it was something like that...which makes finding a reasonable Irish equivalent even less likely. But just in case, I figured I'd offer some variation on "make love, not war."

Redwolf

Post September 14 2010, 17:30 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

I agree with Redwolf. The fact that it's a new wordplay on an old wordplay involving an idiom makes the possibility of a decent translation pretty remote.

Post September 14 2010, 17:43 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

mhwombat wrote:I agree with Redwolf. The fact that it's a new wordplay on an old wordplay involving an idiom makes the possibility of a decent translation pretty remote.

I do have to say, though, that I kinda like my take on "make love, not war" (even if it isn't applicable here) :lach:

Redwolf

Post September 14 2010, 22:04 PM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

Redwolf wrote:
mhwombat wrote:I agree with Redwolf. The fact that it's a new wordplay on an old wordplay involving an idiom makes the possibility of a decent translation pretty remote.

I do have to say, though, that I kinda like my take on "make love, not war" (even if it isn't applicable here) :lach:

Redwolf

I think it's quite brilliant actually.
The money-grabbing wankers who control this site can ban me too. Talk about recruiting trolls! I've spent enough time putting money in their pockets.