Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Open Door Books as Gaeilge

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 11 2010, 21:14 PM
Saoirse2009
Laoch na nGael

Has anyone read any of the Open Door series of books? The English version of the books were written by well known authors (well known in this part of the world anyway) for adult learners of reading. The idea is that they provide adult reading material for learners and so the language is accessible and the novels are shorter than usual. The Irish language versions should work well for people with reasonable but not perfect Irish. They are short novels and so not too daunting and are well worth checking out. Authors such as Roddy Doyle and Patricia Scanlan have written novels for the series. I have read a couple of them and found them very enjoyable. Had to check the dictionary a few times but not too often!

Post July 12 2010, 8:30 AM
fio_smiles
Gaeilgeoir

I'm a happy beginner. So please, always, always, always wait for confirmation on my translations.

Post July 12 2010, 13:39 PM
Saoirse2009
Laoch na nGael

Thanks for including that link. It didn't occur to me to do it.

By the way, for anyone living in Ireland, it is a good idea to ask your local bookshop to order in books for you rather than always buying over the Internet. It shows them that there is a demand for such books. If they don't stock them and nobody asks for them, it feeds into their claims that there is no demand. Anyway, I recommend the Open Door books to anyone trying to improve their Irish but who might find a full length novel too daunting.

Post July 12 2010, 19:02 PM
Caffler
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Saoirse2009 wrote:Thanks for including that link. It didn't occur to me to do it.

By the way, for anyone living in Ireland, it is a good idea to ask your local bookshop to order in books for you rather than always buying over the Internet. It shows them that there is a demand for such books.

aye this is very true. (the smileys are banjaxed again otherwise i'd have put that thumbs up one here)
Get the Ræliksen CD here
éist leis an gceol

tá sult na saoirse i gcló na gcrann
is grá don tsúil a fiaradh,
tá dúil sa rud tá casta cam
is gráin don bhog is don díreach.

Post July 12 2010, 19:10 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Saoirse2009 wrote:Thanks for including that link. It didn't occur to me to do it.

By the way, for anyone living in Ireland, it is a good idea to ask your local bookshop to order in books for you rather than always buying over the Internet. It shows them that there is a demand for such books. If they don't stock them and nobody asks for them, it feeds into their claims that there is no demand. Anyway, I recommend the Open Door books to anyone trying to improve their Irish but who might find a full length novel too daunting.

Good idea. When I was in Ireland, I went to just about every book store I happened to be near and, while most had a small Irish section, I couldn't get much in the way of good books for adult learners without going to some place like An Siopa Gaeilge or Cló Iar-Chonnachta (both of which I patronized with great enthusiasm!). The Eason's on O'Connell Street in Dublin had a reasonable selection of classic novels (I almost grabbed a copy of Cré na Cille until I saw the price...ouch!) and books for children, but really nothing at all for adult learners.

Post July 13 2010, 8:42 AM
Saoirse2009
Laoch na nGael

To whet your appetite!

Deireadh Seachtaine Craiceáilte, Written by Roddy Doyle.

Ba dhlúthchairde iad Daithí, Páid agus Ben ó bhí siad ina bpáistí. Déanann siad gach aon rud le chéile, agus is breá leo uile cumann peile Learphoill. Agus iad ar turas leis an bhfoireann is fearr leo a fheiceáil, ólann siad barraíocht roimh an gcluiche. Éiríonn Daithí agus Páid gnóthach ag bréagadh beirt chailín áitiúla. Go tobann tá sé in am dóibh dul go hAnfield. Ach cá bhfuil Ben?

Tá Jesus agus Billy ag Imeacht go Barcelona, Written by Deirdre Purcell.

Buachaill sé bliana déag d’aois é Billy, a bhfuil gnáthchuma air agus a bhfuil cónaí air ar gnátheastát i dtuaisceart chathair Bhaile Átha Cliatha. Ar an taobh eile den scéal, buachaill dathúil é Jesus le béasa ilchríochacha. Is ón gceantar is galánta i mBarcelona é. Tagann sé ar turas ón Spáinn chun cónaí le teaghlach Billy ar feadh trí seachtaine samhradh amháin. Rachaidh Billy ar ais le Jesus ar chuairt ar Barcelona. Ach, níor cheart d’aon duine pleananna a dhéanamh...

Post July 13 2010, 16:53 PM
brianocuinn
Laoch na nGael

Tá 'Deireadh Seachtaine Craiceáilte' agus 'Jesus agus Billy ag Imeacht go Barcelona' léite agam agus b'aoibhinn liom an dá leabhar.

I thought Jesus agus Billy was a wee bit funnier and cleverer though.

I'm about to start Cailleacha Underbury.

I have to agree with Saoirse though, I was only in Eason's today asking about the translated version of Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl. The lady I was talking to was very helpful and rang around the other stores to check for me, I even heard her saying 'as Gaeilge' once or twice. A lot of people buy their books online so they don't get a lot of copies in sadly :(

Post July 13 2010, 17:05 PM
relic5.2
Laoch na nGael

I have to keep an eye out for that Artemis Fowl book in Irish, I'm even sure if my local book shops have (m)any books in Irish. I haven't actively looked, but I do go in at least once a week and never noticed a book in Irish...

Post July 13 2010, 18:22 PM
brianocuinn
Laoch na nGael

Well a relic5.2, according to Eason's it's officially out of print but chances are some shops will have it so I'm going to do a ring around.

She gave me the ISBN number and if you ring a bookshop that's all they need to check if they have it.

If you need it: 9780141320649

Post July 13 2010, 18:23 PM
brianocuinn
Laoch na nGael

Actually I just googled that ISBN and the first few hits were places that sell it. Sweet!

Next