Irish Gaelic Translations
Irish Gaelic Translator.com
Free human community–based Irish Gaelic translations.

Proverbs, Blessings, Toasts & Sayings

An Irish Blessing

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat.
Go raibh cóir na gaoithe i gcónaí leat.
Go dtaitní an ghrian go bog bláth ar do chlár éadain,
go dtite an bháisteach go bog mín ar do ghoirt.
Agus go gcasfar le chéile sinn arís,
go gcoinní Dia i mbois a láimhe thú.

Contributed by: Brian Costello, deb

Various

Luck of the Irish
Ádh na nÉireannach

Contributed by: Conor

May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead
Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh.

Contributed by: Redwolf

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
Níl gach uile fhánaí caillte
/NEEL gukh IL-uh AW-nee KYLE-chuh/

Contributed by: Deb, oisin718

Ireland Forever
Éire go Brách or Éirinn go Brách

The second spelling is a common dialectical variation. Some sources give Éireann go Brách (like www.irish-sayings.com) but that is an incorrect spelling.

Other Sites

Irish-Sayings.com – with audio.

Contributed by: Eoin

Island Ireland – Irish Proverbs, Blessings, Toasts, Sayings…

Contributed by: Aisling_M

Daltaí – Irish Proverbs

Contributed by: Aisling_M

Gaelic Proverbs (Scottish Gaelic)

Gaelic Proverbs (Scottish Gaelic) – another Scottish site

Contributed by: Deb

47 Comments »

1. Seanfhear said,

July 6, 2007 @ 8:03 am

I’ve always felt that the English language versions of the famous Irish Blessing, ‘may the road rise to meet you’, or ‘.. rise before you,’ etc, must be a mistranslation. Surely it means ‘may the road go well for you’ or ‘may your journey be successful’.

We say, ‘go n-éirí leat’, or ‘go n-éirí an t-ádh leat’, when wishing someone success or good luck, not that he should literally become airborne.

I’ve never been comfortable with the notion of the road eternally rising before me, if anything I’d like it to be on the descent!

Cad is dóigh libh?

Seanfhear

2. Devon said,

July 12, 2007 @ 12:51 am

This is the version that I’m more accustom to. I would hope that someone might be able to translate the last portion of it. I’m Buddhist, so the appearance of a “God” identity in the poem isn’t what I really had in mind.

“May The Road Rise To Meet You,
    May The Wind Always Be At Your Back,
    May The Sun Shine Warm Upon Your Face,
    May The Rains Fall Soft Upon Your Fields,
    And May The Roads Always Lead You Home.”

3. Abigael said,

October 13, 2007 @ 7:01 pm

a thaisce (ah hash-keh) – my treasure

4. Karl Mills said,

March 17, 2008 @ 2:00 pm

A Cara,

A sasanach I am, or was. I went to school in Ireland. This is what I learned:

D’éirí an bóthar leas!

How to spell this correctly, I do not know.

Which translated as:

May the road rise under you!

Of course we did not use that funny roman script when I went to school.

5. Helen May said,

March 31, 2008 @ 6:08 pm

Translation of
    Bail o Dhia Annso

6. Eoin said,

April 3, 2008 @ 1:23 pm

Helen May: please use our free translation forum.

7. Redwolf said,

April 12, 2008 @ 7:46 pm

The “road rising” version is, in fact, a mistranslation. “Éirigh le” is an idiom meaning “to succeed,” so the correct translation would be something like “may your journey be successful” or more broadly “good luck.”

8. David Shaw said,

June 7, 2008 @ 9:17 am

I found a different translation of the same exact blessings and it is considerably different, which one is correct:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
    Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl
    Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d’aghaidh
    Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna
    Agus go mbuailimid le chéile arís,
    Go gcoinní Dia i mbos A láimhe thú.

May the road rise to meet you
    May the wind be always at your back
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    The rains fall soft upon your fields
    And until we meet again
    May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

9. McClain said,

August 31, 2008 @ 2:58 am

“May Your Journey Be Successful ,
    May The Wind Always Be At Your Back,
    May The Sun Shine Warm Upon Your Face,
    May The Rains Fall Soft Upon Your Fields,
    And May The Roads Always Lead You Home.”

10. jam said,

September 20, 2008 @ 7:50 am

i would like to get the irish blessing as a tatto,
    i hope to get it in irish but i have found it difficult
    to find which translation is right?

11. elizabeth said,

October 9, 2008 @ 6:12 am

Hello,
    My name is Elizabeth and I was just wondering if someone could help me
    with translations of english words to irish gaelic.

MILITANT . ZEALOUS . HUMANE

they’re not your typical everyday words but if someone could
    help me that would be much appriciated,

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you

12. Martín Montgomery said,

fanatic = fanaiceach
    enthusiastic = díograiseach, fonnmhar
    devout = deabhóideach

Hope this helps

14. Marie said,

January 6, 2009 @ 11:40 am

I would like to know how to send a new years greeting to someone ???

just a general best wishes for the new year… health wealth and lots of sex to all !!!

15. stephanie said,

January 11, 2009 @ 5:57 am

Can someone please tell me the translation for the following, i know other people have requested it but I am not sure if it has been translated. It is different then the traditional version. Thanks, and please respond to Slim so I know. Thanks again!

“May The Road Rise To Meet You,
    May The Wind Always Be At Your Back,
    May The Sun Shine Warm Upon Your Face,
    May The Rains Fall Soft Upon Your Fields,
    And May The Roads Always Lead You Home.”

16. Tim Beard said,

March 9, 2009 @ 3:27 am

Can someone please tell me how to say “My Mother” in Irish. I want to write a poem for my very Celtic Mother’s 70th birthday.

Thanks,

Tim.

17. brenton said,

March 16, 2009 @ 11:31 am

18. Ryan said,

July 2, 2009 @ 12:54 am

Can someone please tell me how to write: God never closed a door without opening one.

19. Lindsay said,

July 19, 2009 @ 1:53 pm

Can someone please help me with translating the following words/fraises?

- Great lizard, reveal your treasure, for we mean no harm
    - Magical stone
    - Show yourself
    - Levitate
    - Strength, Love and Honour thy heart = Neart, Grá agus Onóir …?

I would really appreciate it if someone helps me. Thank you!

20. Joanne Carey said,

July 27, 2009 @ 4:27 pm

Could some1 please translate this into Irish :)

__May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light.__

And then translate this on a different line

__May good luck purse you each morning and night.__

Thanks

21. Katie said,

August 18, 2009 @ 1:29 am

“MBOIS” Why is this word spelled differently everytime i see a translation of this blessing? Is it more modern this way? I’ve seen it mostly as “mbosa”. I appreciate any clarification.

Thanks kindly.

Katie

22. Caómhin Ó Laóg said,

December 16, 2009 @ 2:13 pm

“I was wondering if ,yone could tell me what “bail o dia annso” meant. Its inscribed on a friends front door and no one has a clue to its meaning.”

Hi Brenton. There are slightly different spellings and words for the different Irish speaking regions of Ireland. Living in the Ulster area, I can tell you that its literal translation is ‘here is a town of God’, but we would spell it ‘Baile o Dia anseo’. However that doesn’t really sound right, so perhaps the bail is incorrectly spelt (I’ve never heard of the word ‘bail’ myself). ‘Teach (pronounced cha) o Dia anseo’ would mean ‘here is a house of God’

Hope this helps!

Caómhin.

23. shemra said,

January 18, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

im looking for a translation for “true love is eternal”
    in irish gaelic
    thanks.

24. Cara said,

January 24, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

Can someone please confirm the correct translation of the irish blessing?

25. Ryan said,

March 17, 2010 @ 5:06 pm

Can someone please help me with the correct translation of the phrase “to have a dream” or just “to dream” in irish gaelic. Thanks!

26. Richard said,

April 6, 2010 @ 4:44 am

Go n-éirí an bothar leat means ‘may the road rise with you’…it is a lot easier to walk a level road than it is to walk a hilly one…think about it…or may you always keep yourself well grounded in success…in order to understand a language you must first understand its cultural context…

t-ádh leat!

Richard

27. Richard said,

April 6, 2010 @ 4:57 am

Responding to no. 22 Bail ó Dia annso is a blessing meaning ‘prosperity from God here’…IOW may God bless this house with prsperity….Bail ó Dhia ort translates prosperity from God on you…which means ‘good for you’…as in Tá Gaeilge agat! Bail ó Dhia ort! – you speak irish! good for you!…

titim ar chac ach ní salach mé…

Richard

28. KATHLEEN said,

July 8, 2010 @ 10:19 am

MY DAUGHTER WOULD LIKE TO GET A CELTIC TATOO SAYING “FREE AS A BIRD” AND AN ACOMPANYING NOBAL IRISH BIRD AS SHE IS FORTH GENERATION AND VERY PROUD OF HER HERITAGE. CAN YOU HELP WITH THE TRANSLATION AND SUGGEST AN APPROPRIATE BIRD?

29. dereje legesse said,

August 14, 2010 @ 6:05 am

this proverbs is toooo beaurifu/good…………… so attractive………
    i like it very much…………

30. Aine said,

October 4, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

It would be wonderful if there were more websites with the Irish language spoken. I know one poem but can’t find the translation!

31. Alianna013 said,

November 2, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

hey i have sung that song for school! i love that song.

32. Rosie OGrady said,

December 10, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

Can someone help with an Irish Gaelic translation for: Sit down and rest your bones.

Thank you.

33. sinead lejars said,

February 5, 2011 @ 11:55 pm

To Rosie O’Grady

Suigh sios agus ligh do scith

34. Melina said,

November 24, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

what would be the correct way to inscribe – To the one I love “Our day will come”

35. jennifer anne said,

December 1, 2011 @ 2:58 am

My husbands brother passed last year, and rubber bracelets were made in his remembrance. My husband wore his every single day and its finally broken. I am getting a nicer more sturdy one made for him and wish to inscribe it with a gaelic Irish saying somewhere along lines of “never forgotten” . But really looking for anything short simple and meaningful. Any help would be so appreciated.

36. Dan said,

December 13, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

I’ve always thought it to mean that “When you pass out drunk in the street, may the road rise up to catch you so you don’t fall as hard.”

But maybe I’m thinking a bit TOO Irish…

37. Until We Meet Again | Catchy Colors said,

March 15, 2012 @ 9:57 am

[...] has Irish ancestors so it made sense to put the verse in Gaelic. Happily the translation was found over at the Irish Gaelic Translator page. Bookmark the permalink. ← Viscount Horwitz Blue [...]

38. Kevin Weed said,

August 24, 2012 @ 5:21 am

I learned “May the road rise to meet you” means you have an easy down hill walk; the road is “rising” up to you, so you are walking down.

39. Marisa Casey said,

February 19, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

I was wondering if anyone can help me properly translate “Me to my love, and my love to me” into Irish Gaelic.

It’s what my husband and I have engraved inside our wedding bands and I’d like to embroider it in Irish Gaelic on a handkerchief for our “linen” anniversary in May. I’m open to interpretations of love: beloved, heart, darling, etc… are all acceptable as long as the spirit of the meaning is true.

Thanks in advance!!

40. Em said,

September 3, 2013 @ 1:08 am

I’m trying to find how to say “May your adventures be grand/great” for a dear friend who is leaving. How would this be written in Irish, and how would it be pronounced? Thank you!!

41. Best English school Dublin said,

October 29, 2013 @ 8:05 am

Hi there to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is
    getting more from this site, and your views are nice in favor
    of new visitors.

42. faith said,

December 4, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

how do u say hi and how do say good bye

43. faith said,

December 4, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

hi

44. faith said,

December 4, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

i am new

45. faith said,

December 4, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

here

46. faith said,

December 4, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

i am awesome

47. I Mbosa A Láimhe | Raven's Wing Poetry said,

January 30, 2014 @ 7:28 pm

[...] The title is Irish and means “in the palm of his hand”, which is taken from the last two lines of the traditional Irish Blessing, which in English reads, “And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand“.  Here it is, both in Irish and English. [...]

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI